Monday, May 24, 2010

Update and Article

Kyle seems to be doing better today. Although, he is still not really eating anything. Poor baby. I hate this.
I talked to his allergist today who was out of the office. He said to wait 2 weeks to give him dairy again, but to call him first so we can talk about it. He also feels it's probably a stomach bug because he was running a fever. I guess I can live with waiting two more weeks, but I can't help but get nervous about more vomiting again!
I think this next time I give him dairy, I'm going to do it in a more controlled way. Like, trying to get Kyle to drink x number of ounces of just whole milk for a week before we call it "safe". I don't believe giving him as much as he wanted was the right way to go. Hopefully if I control the amount a little bit more, and he's still doing good after a week, then maybe we can go on and introduce something else like cheese, or yogurt.
Anyway, I hope this link will work, here's another article that discusses non IgE allergies. Not a ton of new information here, but it at least calls for an awakening amongst doctors to recognize this, trust Moms that they know what they're talking about, and says insurance companies need to start paying for the formula for these little ones. Amen.
Go here to find the article.

3 comments:

  1. Feels funny to say, but I sure hope it is the stomach flu and not a reaction! I would LOVE to have been wrong in my comment to you yesterday. :) Since the vomiting was spread throughout the day maybe it was actually a bug. My son's fever did spike at the height of his shock during our hospital visit (102+), but what happened to your son seems very different (he did not go into shock, for one, his reaction time and frequency of vomiting for another).

    Also, thanks for the article. And YES these formulas really do need covered by insurance. They refuse to cover my son unless we see a nutritionist or something and get him labeled as "failure to thrive." Ugh. He's thriving just fine because I'm still breastfeeding!! But they refuse to take that into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I'm italaudi on the BBC FPIES group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, hope that it was truly just a bug...please keep us posted!

    Thanks for the article...do you know how I can access the article in endnote 2 of this editorial?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete