Sunday, May 23, 2010

Possible Reaction?

I'm really TRYING to remain positive and calm, but I'm really stressed too.

As you know, we trialed Dairy for the first time in the hospital on Tuesday (the 18th). DS only had 50 ml of whole milk that day. We stuck around for 6 hours and nothing happened. When we left, I asked the allergist...so what now? How do we proceed? He said, "Give him as much as he wants starting tomorrow" I responded, "Really? As much as he wants?" And he said, yes.

So, although I had my doubts, we started to offer him more dairy the next day. He had a string cheese....still nothing. Then, some milk in his bottle instead of formula, nothing. So, the next day, we tried yogurt. Still doing great. No signs of fussiness, loose stool, or not sleeping well. He was doing great!

Fast forward to day 5, which was yesterday (Saturday) morning. He was fussy as soon as he woke up, but had slept through the night great. I fed him his normal breakfast of cream of wheat with fruit. Waited about 45 minutes to give him a bottle of milk. He only drank about 4 oz. Still kind of fussy, walked into the other room, and projectile vomited all over the floor!!! I immediately thought, crap. My husband said not to worry, maybe he just ate to much. We cleaned him up, but he was extremely fussy after that. Wanting to be held non-stop, and not a happy guy. About 2 hours later, we decided to try and give him a very light lunch. He ate a little bit of ham and some fruit, but was obviously tired and not wanting to eat. Still fussy. So, we put him down for his nap with his formula. He wouldn't drink it. Then, after being in his crib just a few minutes, he vomited everything up again. Then, he did fine the rest of the day. Still very fussy, but no more vomiting. We obviously stopped all dairy that morning. Then, he ate a TINY bit of dinner, drank his whole bottle at bedtime, and went to bed. When he woke up in the morning, I went to get him and he had vomited in his sleep at some point.

It's the weekend, so I can't talk to the allergist, but I'm hoping this is a stomach bug. However, I just don't think so. My gut tells me it is the milk. I know it seems crazy when it didn't start until day 5, but Kyle's first reaction to rice was similar. Keep us in your prayers, and I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. It's really such a scary challenge to go through with our little one's. On the good days, you forget just how bad it can get, and then on the bad days, the realization that "my child is different" comes rushing back.

    It sounds like a reaction to me, although my son's reactions have all been around 2 hours afterward, and Kyle's seemed almost immediate today (from what you typed, of course, i was not there). Also, when my son reacts he generally vomits it all up within an hour or two, four at the most, it doesn't really go on all day or into the night.

    Delayed reactions are so scary, but they say the protein needs time to build up in their systems or something, which is why it may appear to be a "pass," and then suddenly be a major fail.

    My son LOVED sweet potatoes, ate them at least five times, and yet they were the food that landed him in the ER the first time. I had realized he reacted to oats (although thinking back that probably built up over time, too), so fed him sweet potatoes to be "safe."

    Green beans, too, he ate with no problem previously, and then got sick.

    We now trial everything for 7 days before calling it a "safe" food. It gets very monotonous at times, and when he's passing so much I get brave and want to just introduce, introduce, introduce... but of course, I can't. I just hope 7 days is enough. We haven't been able to find a good allergist yet so we're just pacing ourselves. :/

    I'll pray for you and Kyle. Failing milk may seem like a set back, but there are alternatives and he'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers Nikki.
    I'm wondering if it could just be a stomach bug cause now he has a fever and diarrhea, too. I never thought I'd be happy it could be a stomach bug.

    ReplyDelete