Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Success!

Kyle passed dairy!

I'm a little apprehensive still. The doc gave us the OK on "as much dairy as he wants", but I still feel a reaction could happen. Although, I think it's a slim chance.

Kyle drank 50 ml of whole milk over a one hour period. I convinced the doc that he was OK without an IV. This was a risk I was willing to take because Kyle's FPIES reactions have not been that severe in the past. So, after that, it was just waiting. Lots of waiting.

We stayed in the hospital for 6 LOOOONG hours. But, luckily, we were able to walk around, and that entertained Kyle for most of the day. We ate at the cafeteria for lunch, and he even took an hour and a half nap in the office in his stroller.

We got the OK to trial soy and chicken at home....I feel good about that with the way this trial went. I think it's a little overkill to do it in the office every time. Some kids with more severe reactions need it. And, we will do rice/oats in the office when that time comes after Kyle is 2. I think with milk, it was good to do in the office too since we had no idea what the reaction would be.

Kyle's reaction to rice took several days before vomiting started. I don't think that will be the case with milk, but I'm still going to go slow.

However, I gave him a string cheese for lunch. He gobbled it right up! He loved it!!

We are happy. Yogurt, cheese, and milk...here we come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment