Thursday, March 11, 2010

A little setback...OK, a big one.

Kyle had a setback last week.

I stopped nursing him on a Monday, and then by Friday, he had bloody, mucousy stool with extreme diaper rash! Sooo frustrating.

Possible suspects:

1. One sip of coconut milk

2. Fresh strawberries (although he's had jarred before)

3. a buttery green bean my daughter dropped on the floor.

It lasted for about 3 days, and now his stool seems back to normal. HOWEVER, I spoke with his allergist yesterday and he is suggesting waiting 6-12 months for the milk trial. UGH!!

So, not sure what's going to happen. I have to switch him to a toddler formula (more expensive) and meet with a nutritionist now...not covered by insurance.

This kid is going to break the bank before he's 2. But, it's not his fault, poor baby. But, it's a frustrating road. I had kind of hoped that he would try milk for the first time, love it and we would all be happily eating yogurt everyday. I guess so much for wishful thinking!

The trip to the nutritionist will cost $140 for a one hour session. Geez!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! Its a rough road, huh?? Miles is still drinking all breastmilk. He never liked formula. He is almost 15 months now. How old is Kyle? He weaned at 10 months so I have just resorted to pumping now. He has a bunch of IgE allergies so I eliminate those from my diet. I cant imagine a day when I can go back to eating all those things. i will feel like a part of my life it gone too...
    Poor Kyle. Honestly, the nutritionist wasnt really worth it to us.
    Feel free to email me if you want to talk more.
    Ryley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be a little late with this since I am just reading your blog now - but did you switch from the Neutramagen to Neocate or Elecare. My daughter is getting about 4 oz of formula a day and it took forever to realize it but she was reactions to the Neutramagen because there is still milk and soy in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We switched from breastmilk to "liquid gold" Nutramigen at 11 months....And she drank it until a few months ago...She is almost 2 1/2 now and drinks Enriched Rice Milk (okayed by our allergist, family doctor and two dieticians)... My guess is that the culprit was the green bean with butter.... I totally get your wishful thinking. I have dreams of sharing an ice cream cone with my daughter some day. And my heart breaks when she asks for yogurt (although I still have no clue where she heard the word or how she knows what yogurt is??!!!).

    ReplyDelete