Friday, March 12, 2010

Cross-Contamination

I haven't really worried about this issue too much since FPIES is not an anaphylactic IgE allergy, but now, I'm wondering. In my previous post, I posted about the fact that my son had bloody, mucousy stool again....out of the blue.

So, now that it is cleared up, and the episode seems to be over...why can't I let go? I can't. I hate the unknown. I'm that way in any aspect of my life, and I want to know what caused it!!

Lately, he's been eating a lot of Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread. Love that stuff. So good. Supposedly there are only 5 ingredients. I called my local store and spoke with the manager. He said there are no hidden ingredients, but there is a risk for cross-contamination with oats. Hmmm....so could that be it? I don't know??

I had another FPIES Mom tell me that if it doesn't hit her baby's stomach, then she didn't worry about it too much. Like, if your child picks up an M&M off the floor and pops it into his mouth, but then you get it in time...no harm done. Well, what if it is contaminated (only slightly) before it ever gets to you?

Oats are one of his major triggers. He vomited the very first time he ever ingested them. With rice, it took a little longer for the protein to build up.

It's so frustrating not having answers. What do you think? Does Cross-Contamination matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment